Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tung oil verses polyurethane  (Read 3238 times)

wwawesome

• View Profile
What are your thoughts on using Tung oil vs. Poly? I have recently started using TO and love how easy it is to apply. On a couple of picture frames for the garage I just used 1 coat of TO and it seems to do the job once it dries.

But Poly after 3 coats I know that the wood is protected. From what I understand is TO was used on very old ships to preserve the wood as it soaks INTO the wood and Poly sits on top.

I just hate all the waiting involved with Poly. I've tried multiple coats of TO and the second coat just seems to sit there and not soak in anymore. The TO really makes the grain stand out which I love.

nowopie

• View Profile
Good question. I'm curious to hear what others say. Like you I've just started tinkering with TO after using Poly for years (Apply coat. Wait. Lightly sand. Repeat. Yarrgh.)

SlyMitch

• View Profile
100% tung oil will last a long time.
if your talking about any tung oil you purchase that does not say 100% on the can/jar/bottle, is not a tung oil. as a matter of fact, most of them dont even have any tung oil in them. most of them are a form of a danish oil.

Ted Leger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I think the question is whether it's good enough to use tung oil for the finish instead of polyurethane (exterior is sparurethane so keep that in mind.)

It's going to depend on the finish you are wanting to achieve. Urethane will have a harder shinier finish over tung oil. Yes it takes more coats to give it that glass like appearance, and it will chip over time in the weather, but tung oil will just go on like a coat of oil and that's it. No surface to it, when you touch the wood it will feel like wood. Urethane you will feel the top coat.

Mondovanut

• View Profile
    • คาสิโน online
I want to get it a lot. Can you tell me where I can find it?

« Last Edit: by Mondovanut »

Delgadonut

• View Profile
    • gclub
It is a very good polyurethane. I want to get it a lot.