Nowadays coat racks are not a popular item in contemporary homes despite being one of the most convenient home accessories. These devices are designed to provide an area for people to hang their coats, hats, scarves and other outdoor wear when entering a house instead of having to carry the clothing around with one. Today manufacturers have created a variety of coat racks from which to choose; however, there is the option of tapping into your creativity and building a wooden coat rack yourself. This can seem daunting, but by following this short guide you can create a spectacular rack on your own.
To build a wooden coat rack you will need the following resources:
– wood screws
– four metal coat hooks
– 4 x 4 inch wooden plank measuring 8 ft. long
1. Begin by sanding down the 8 foot long wood plank using the sandpaper. Smooth the surface of the lumber carefully paying attention to the edges of the plank. It is recommended that you utilize two different types of sandpaper in order to obtain a ‘finished’ effect using medium-grit paper initially, and then complete the sanding and smoothing with fine grit paper.
2. Next, locate a mounting point on the sanded post to determine where the metal hooks will be installed. Using a pencil, mark this location on all four sides of the post indicating where each of the metal items will be placed.
3. Once the markets have been made, drill a pilot hole using a drill and drill bit. The bit must be slightly smaller than the screws being used to attach the hooks. Place a hook on the post inserting the screws through the mounting holes, and then tighten the screws using a screwdriver. Repeat this technique on the other three sides at the marked points.
4. Find the center of a 2 x 2 square piece of plywood marked at approximately one inch thick. Once the center location is marked with a pencil, draw straight lines from each corner across the point to form an ‘X’ shape through the center. Finally make a point on each of the lines that is one inch from the center mark.
5. Finally, drill a hole through all marked points along the X making the holes slightly smaller than the wood screws you will be using to attach this base to the wooden coat rack post.
6. To assemble the rack locate the center point in the bottom of the post – the bottom being the side opposite to where the hooks have been installed. Place the square base against this bottom area and attach it with a decking screw. Align the square base with the long post and utilize the holes as a guide to drill holes into bottom of the post. Insert decking screws through the holes and tighten with screwdriver.
Final words on the matter
As can be seen, creating a wooden coat rack is rather simple if following this brief guide.
DO YOU HAVE a woodworking project or tip that you would like to submit to WooDesigner and get it added to our site? Then go to the contact tab below OR at the top of this page and let me know. Just make sure you are able to give us step by step instructions on it, as well as images as you see here, and we will put it on this site just like you have read on this page! As long as it is clear and concise like you just saw, it will go up. Your name will be credited to the project, as where you live. (Please include that.) Also include the type of lumber you use for the design. We look forward to hearing from you! (Take note that the tip and images and instructions have to become ours. I do hate that so much but in today’s society so many will sue, and yes, you can sue for a lot of money over images.) The tips will need to include YOUR IMAGES that you take. They can’t be images from somewhere online. Remember, we have to go through these images and if they aren’t your own, we will not be able to use them. This is illegal and it won’t be tolerated and you will be banned from this community by being blocked. We can get sued for this, and just one bad apple can ruin our community.
Ted Leger –